Are you having trouble downloading the iPhone 4.0 software? Is iTunes telling you “the version of iphone software is the current version”. Well, I figured out how to get itunes to let you download the 4.0 software.
Is it easy? Kind of, but it takes a bit of computer knowledge. Does it work? It worked for me.
Monday morning I woke up with 2 things on my mind.
1. Call BMW NA and sign up for the new BMW M3 Frozen Gray. (Accomplished)
2. Get the new iPhone update. (fail)
I attempted to get the iPhone update for nearly 12 hours. It is now 9:34 p.m. and I JUST figured out how to do this. Here are the steps.
1. Download and install “WireShark” for Windows. You will also need winpcap.
2. Open Wireshark and select your network interface you use to connect to the web and start capturing packets.
3. Open iTunes and attempt to “update” your iPhone.
4. Stop capturing packets on Wireshark.
5. View captured packets on Wireshark and sort by protocol HTTP. Then look in the info section for:
HTTP GET http://itunes.apple.com./version?machineID=xxXXxxxXXxxXXXxxXXxxx HTTP/1.1
6. Copy the URL above (you will not have X’s you will have other crap) into your browser. You will now see tons of links to all kinds of software downloads. My browser (Firefox) wouldn’t let me search on that page, so you have to right click, go to “view source” and then search through the source.
If you have a iPhone 3Gs you’re looking for “iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw”
If you have a iPhone 3G you’re looking for “iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw”
Once you find these strings you will find that they are associated with a URL. Copy / paste that URL into your browser and you will then be downloading the 4.0 software. Once you have the software downloaded, open iTunes and connect your iPhone. Select your iPhone and hold shift and press “check for updates”. Then select the ipsw you downloaded and let iTunes do the rest!